JASON T. PISKEL
Jason T. Piskel practices in all areas of construction law, including public procurement, bid disputes and protests, lien and bond claims, private commercial disputes, and claims for delay, impact and extra work. His practice involves termination of contract and scheduling claims. He represents and advises commercial development owners in all areas of real estate law. In addition, his practice also includes civil trial work in all areas. He frequently advises and presents on issues concerning public works projects, equitable adjustments, and the interpretation of government contracts. He is also involved in advising clients regarding LEED certified projects. Mr. Piskel is also experienced in digital discovery and handling large electronically stored information issues and disputes.
Mr. Piskel earned his Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Western Washington University. He received his Juris Doctor cum laude from Gonzaga University School of Law. While at Gonzaga, he was a Notes/Comments Editor for the Law Review.
In his practice, he has arbitrated multi-million dollar construction projects; and works closely with large contractors assisting them with construction claims, contracts, and project documentation.
Mr. Piskel also advises clients regarding their private property rights when the government has decided to evoke eminent domain. Mr. Piskel was involved in two litigations that resulted in the highest per square foot land value for property in Downtown Spokane.
• Gonzaga University School of Law, J.D. cum laude, 2004 • Western Washington University, B.A. in Economics, 2001
• Washington Law & Politics 2010, 2011 and 2012 Rising Star • Spokane Coeur d’Alene Living – Best Lawyer in Construction Litigation
Associations• WSBA Construction Law Section Trustee (2012) • Trustee for the Spokane County Bar Association (2011-2012) • Gonzaga University Alumni Mentor Program (2010-2011) • Member of the Education Committee at the Inland Northwest Chapter of the Association of General Contractors • Spokane Art School, Vice President, 2006-2008 • Spokane Club – Handball Committee Member • Member of the State Bar of Washington • Member of the State Bar of Idaho • U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington • U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington • U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho
RYAN D. YAHNE
Ryan Yahne focuses on the areas of construction, real estate and business litigation. In the area of construction litigation, Ryan represents owners, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, sureties and design professionals in all types of commercial, residential, and public works matters. His practice also focuses on the area of Sustainable or “Green” Building law, where Ryan holds a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design® Accredited Professional (LEED® AP) designation, one of few attorneys in Washington and the only attorney in the Eastern Washington/Northern Idaho region to hold the designation. The LEED rating system is the nationally recognized benchmark for design, construction and operation of high-performance and sustainable buildings. Ryan’s experience ranges from construction contract formation and review, advising clients on development and land use issues, LEED certification issues, condominium construction and development issues, as well as all types of adversarial matters including litigation, arbitrations, Miller Act claims, bid protests, bond claims, mechanic liens, public works retainage claims and the Washington Condominium Act claims. Ryan also has extensive experience in real estate litigation, including matters involving development rights, easements, adverse possession and eminent domain. He has appeared in state and federal courts in Washington, California, and Idaho, including trial work and appellate experience before the Washington State Appellate Courts and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Ryan has also advised and assisted many clients to resolve matters through alternative dispute resolution, including complex construction arbitration. He has also written articles concerning construction related legal developments and frequently presents at Construction law, Property law and Green law seminars.
• Pepperdine University School of Law, J.D. cum laude, 2003 • University of Washington, B.A. in Business Administration, 2000
• Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design® Accredited Professional (LEED® AP) • Recognized in Washington Law & Politics and Superlawyers Magazine as a “Rising Star” in 2010, 2011 and 2012 • Recognized in Spokane Coeur d’Alene Living Magazine Best Lawyer Edition 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.
• WSBA Construction Law Section Trustee (2012) • Trustee for the Spokane County Bar Association (2011-Present) • Former Chair of the Green Building Committee at the Association of Builders and Contractors • Member of the Education Committee at the Inland Northwest Chapter of the Association of General Contractors • Member of the State Bar of Washington • Member of the State Bar of Idaho • Member of the State Bar of California U.S. • District Court for the Eastern District of Washington • U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington • U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho • United States Court of Claims
NICHOLAS D. KOVARIK
Nick is a Member of Piskel Yahne Kovarik, PLLC, and a trial attorney whose practice consists primarily of complex civil litigation, commercial litigation, property and eminent domain litigation, employment litigation and government liability litigation. He also advises and represents contractors, subcontractors, owners and sureties in all types of construction related disputes. Nick’s broad range of experience includes jury and bench trials, as well as numerous arbitrations. He has argued before the Washington State Division III Court of Appeals. Nick frequently speaks at employment law and construction seminars. In 2010, Spokane Coeur d’Alene Living Magazine named Nick “One of Spokane’s Best Lawyers.” In 2009, 2010 and 2011, Washington Law and Politics Magazine listed Nick as a “Rising Star.”
Originally from Ord, Nebraska, Nick received his BA degree in philosophy from Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska. Nick attended law school at Gonzaga University School of law, where he was an associate editor in law review. Nick earned his Juris Doctorate with high honors, graduating Summa Cum Laude and has a published article on public procurement in the Gonzaga Law Review.
• Gonzaga School of Law, J.D. Summa Cum Laude 2004 • Creighton University, B.A. in Philosophy, 2001
• Washington Law & Politics 2010, 2011 and 2012 Rising Star • Spokane Coeur d’Alene Living – Best Lawyer in Litigation
• Gonzaga University Alumni Mentor Program (2010-2011) • Spokane County Young Lawyers (former Trustee) • Inland Northwest Associated General Contractors of America • Associated Builders and Contractors, Inland Pacific Chapter • Spokane County Bar Association • Washington State Bar Association • U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington • U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Washington • U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington • U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals • U.S. District Court for the District of Montana • Federal Court of Claims • State Courts of Washington and Montana